Flock Work, A Rare Video

Okay, I don't do this very often and it’s taken some doing but I managed to upload a few videos I took while moving the flock last week.  They're phone videos and my phone is a few years old so the quality is pretty low key. 

The first video is to give an idea of the area we’re in and what the Kelpie dogs do on a regular basis.  We’re about to start the gather of the flock; you can see a few sheep off on the right side. I want the dogs to go over the hills in search of more.   I have two dogs with me and am on foot.  Allen has two dogs with him and he is on the Ranger.  This is the send of the first dog, Cajun.  A moment later I send the second dog, BJ (her video isn't uploaded yet).  BJ works tighter and together she and I will begin moving sheep nearest us. Cajun is on his own, I trust him to search for and find sheep. 


A short time later we have the flock loosely bunched.  I’ve met up with Allen and Cajun is now with him.  BJ and I are still working and Coyote Mic has just been put on the ground.  This next video isn’t about the stock dog work but watch how Mic skirts the six guardian dogs she encounters.  Just a few minutes prior to this BJ met the guardian dogs as we approached the gathered flock.  Her approach to keeping the peace was to go soft for a few moments while passing the guardians and then go back to work (that video hasn't uploaded yet either).  Mic just gets around them as quick as she can, giving the guardians little time to worry about her.  BJ is on the far right moving up that wing, Mic starts out in the centre to pick up that ewe and lamb, then she'll work the left wing. Things are moving quite quickly right now, a little too quickly actually. 


Coyote Mic and BJ are still at work, I've caught up and the ewes have just discovered the gate is open for them and have picked up speed on their own account.  BJ and Mic are keeping everyone up at the rear. Listen to this one with your sound on, moving a large flock of ewes and lambs is a noisy affair.  It's unlikely the stock dogs will hear a command, they might hear a whistle. 



This move was about ¾ of a mile to the yard where we penned the flock for the night.  That video also not uploaded yet.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the videos and commentary. It gives us a better idea of how things work. What a marvelous life your dogs lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More videos please! What beautiful country and sheep and dogs :-).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts