Weighing the Odds
I’m still here, there are lambs popping up all over, and with fitting in another half mile of fencing work and looking after a handful of bottle lambs the days have been very full.
The grass is slow growing this Spring so the ewes are eating faster than the previous grazed piece of lambing pasture recovers. Moving them forward off the lambing pasture means they get better grass while the other paddock rests.
The next paddock forward is a full quarter section in size with an old but useless cross fence dividing it. Allen decided we should get the next half mile of new fencing up so the ewes would still be on a smaller parcel of land for the sake of lambing, and there is no deterring Allen once he decides on a project for the day. (This way the flock is on a very manageable 80 acres rather then 160). In hindsight perhaps Allen knew something without knowing he knew it, because windy, wet weather has also arrived and this next piece of pasture has a long stretch of bush to shelter in.
I opened the gate yesterday and left it for the ewes to find on their own and follow the greener grass to the next piece, which they did about mid afternoon. Plenty of ewes with newer lambs hung back meaning the flock is spread out for 24 hours or so, increasing the predator risk and work for the guardian dogs. I still didn’t think it was worth pushing them to travel too soon, as they have access to shelter as well if needed. That’s kinda of how it feels a lot of the time during pasture lambing, you’re always weighing the odds of weather and predator and deciding which to take a chance with that day. Hopefully you come out on the winning side.