Rising or Not

"A ranch is a massive mix of possibility, potential and purpose and the rancher sits at the intersection of the three and by way of her choices rises up with it, or destroys it. ... "


After the length of winter but before the busy pace of summer, is when I feel deep connection to the land, most in awe of this place and its creatures, and aware of the impacts that will happen because we live here, because we put livestock on it.   

I am aware of the way the land and livestock are linked, the way the ecosystem thrives or shrinks because of what we do. The interplay between the choices we make, what the sheep do, what the dogs do, what the land gives and takes, boggles the mind.  This blog, continued attempts at writing a book, even my artwork stem from this interplay.  The whole of it leaves me feeling very big and very small at the same time. 


The more I witness humanity without nature the more I feel like I’m sitting on a gold mine.  A ranch is a massive mix of possibility, potential and purpose and the rancher sits at the intersection of the three and by way of her choices rises up with it, or destroys it.  Lately I’ve been asking myself if I am indeed rising with it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts