Lambing Outtakes

At just a couple days old they can sure get around.  Amazing little gaffers really.  I don't think I ever do lambing time justice in the blog; there is so much to share but the days are so full it all runs together by the evening and my mind struggles to sort it out after a long day out doors.




When pasture lambing you learn pretty quick when to catch lambs and when to leave well enough alone and try later.  Too young and you'll put mom off the lambs, too old and you'll be sprinting to catch and scare half the flock.  You want a nice, calm catch and you want mom to know where her lambs are.  Today was a full day of new lambs.  A few ewes snorted and pressed my arms/hands while I held their lambs which sounds kind enough knowing they want their lambs, but momma ewes aren't being sweet about it, so I'm wary of them.  

I thought I could take my iPod shuffle and listen to music while I checked lambs but that only lasted one try.  Turns out I rely a good deal on listening to the ewes while I work, their sounds tell me where they are and what they might be up to and how panicked they're getting.  I am surprised by how much I rely on and know about the sounds of sheep.  I suppose it's a habit born of experience but never given thought to.  It's a skill I'm pleased to have honed.


6 comments:

  1. Being distracted by music in your ears, could earn you a head-butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure there is so much to your days now that trying to write it all down is overwhelming. These sheep are so much a part of your life, it is no wonder you understand their every sound. What a lovely life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious if you band all tails longer or maybe just the market wethers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All tails. For the females in particular, I like to have some tail protection over the vulva due to our cold winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dock length will shorten a tad too as the animal matures.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for answering! I always find it interesting and educational the different ways to manage a flock. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts