Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Shearing and Scratching

The day was sunny, warm and windy. The sheep day pasture is just out front of the house so we can watch sheep from the deck. I took advantage of it though and worked BlackJack and Gibson. It’s a large pasture space and we couldn’t work the sheep too long in the warmer temperatures. The dogs felt the heat too and headed to the creek afterward for a swim.

Yesterday was a full day on my feet with chores on either end and in the middle helping at a shearing day for a large flock of Rambouliett sheep.  It was a busy pace all day long and I wasn’t shearing or even hosting shearing :-)  All I managed was a quick photo at the end before the last sheep travelled over the hill to the feed.


Today the tiredness carried over so I took some time off my feet to do some artwork.  I just brought along a couple scratchboards, enough to keep me busy while I’m here and simple enough to pack because not a lot of art supplies are required.

I’ve got two on the go right now.  The first is very interesting to work on.  I’ve titled it The Shed’s and The Dead’s.  On large tracts of rangeland you continually find antler sheds and skulls.  This particular pile of antlers and skulls sits in front of the guest cabin here.


The second piece is another experiment with figuring out how to scratch the texture of wool.  I’m working from an old and rather poor quality photograph so detail is sparse.  This is a very early stage. The dusty look is from chalk, used for the line drawing. 



3 comments:

  1. You are some artist. I'll look up "scratchboard" on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you seem to give us new words to look up and learn. Glad to see you brought your art along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With posting here and on Facebook I forget in which place I explained what. I posted an art piece awhile ago that had a brief description of what the scratchboard idea was - that was on Facebook. Scratchboard work is like drawing in reverse. Instead of placing color, your making scratches to reveal the highlighted board beneath. It is unforgiving and hard to correct, so mistakes show up.

    ReplyDelete