Montana Day Four

I left SK just prior to a nasty blizzard blowing in there. I reached my destination in Montana and while there was a light skiff of snow it was soon gone.

This was on day two, sunny but cool and windy. On each of my stays here I hike up to the top of the rim rock. I just love it up there, such a vast space of rugged and gnarled landscape. All the species that find a way to grow in this landscape surely deserve a great amount of respect.


This is the scene today. I took over the crew of dogs and did my first run with the pack this morning in heavy snow and tonight as I write it is still snowing.  All the dogs were agreeable and quite respectful today, sensing the change in personnel and taking a bit to sort me out before trying any shenanigans they're bound to try on me at some point.


I'm repeatedly counting dogs during, and when we return from a run, to be sure I have everyone accounted for.  The photos only capture some of the group of fourteen. It's only one more dog than I have at home but with over half of my dogs being guardian dogs they don't join in on runs with my stock dogs. 




2 comments:

  1. Wow. Keeping track of fourteen dogs must be quite a task; And I'm wondering about feeding time. How many sheep are there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your thoughts when you are there. And I did wonder if the ranch dogs got along with your dogs, and listen to your commands. Fun and interesting comments!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts