Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Kelpies, Cattle Dogs and Cows


My stay at the last place in Montana was a short one but enough to catch up with the wonderful friends who own the place. Allen and I have gotten to know them through the dogs.


The landscape here is gorgeous rolling Montana hills with timber rather than the rim rock found closer to the mountains.  There is abundant antelope, sandhill crane and gopher populations, and there are Kelpies, Cattle Dogs, and cows instead of sheep.  In fact, there are a lot of cows here - about 700 head and they are just at the tail end of calving.


I noted a few similar attributes between a couple of these dogs and my dog Cajun and was pleasantly surprised with watching them.  I got to see Tanner at work and help out a little bit.  Tanner is the cream fellow in the above photo whom I know well because I raised him as a pup and then later he spent a summer with me.



I'm relying on more photos tonight as I’m short on words.  Yesterday was a long day of traveling home, and today, sinking into the routine of chores for animals I know well, and catching up with all things left to the wayside while one is away for a month.

The resident Cattle Dog, Gus

8 comments:

  1. Nice photos! That first one is great... Glad you had a good trip ~ Montana is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Montana has become my second favorite place, my home away from home.

      Delete
  2. Tanner, of course, is a beauty, but I like the looks of Gus too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner will like that one of Gus, I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dogs and great pictures of them....welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My old border collie (14.5 years) just had a bout of canine vestibular disease. Fortunately for me, he is recovering. Have you ever encountered this with any of your dogs? Hopefully not with an LGD, as he absolutely could not walk, and I had to carry him everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have not, sorry to hear your guy had to go through it. My old BC is 14.5 too. He had an episode where he lost control in the hindquarters, couldn't stand and we had to help him along for a couple days. Main trauma was over in a day but residual effects for a few more.

      Delete