Winter Day Reminder

We brought the flock in today to sort off a few wether lambs who will be killed and butchered later this week. These are 2016 born lambs that we kept here for this reason. Selling at the farm gate is not something we do frequently but we keep half a dozen lambs each year for ourselves and a few acquaintances who ask us for lamb. 

I enlisted the help of Coyote Mic and Gibson to bring the flock in. Two dogs because I expected some trouble with bringing the flock through a narrow, tree lined and snow filled pass between pasture and the first paddock. The ewes balked at pushing through the deep snow and the dogs had to hold the back of the group for several minutes before we convinced sheep to move.

After that it was an easy go across the paddock through another gate, then around the bend toward the building. Getting the entire flock into the building took a bit work again but was managed very well.

It has been a couple months since the dogs and I have moved the flock (or any sheep) and afterward I marvelled at how smooth a job we did with the dogs taking directions and stops readily, as keen as they were.

It felt like the conversation I recently had with a long time friend after being out of touch with each other for awhile. When we touched base again we picked up right where we left off and the conversation was just what we needed.

There are periods of time when I obsess over my dogs not being well trained. To help explain a bit, my comparison models are friends who do extensive training with their dogs for competing on the trial field; I start to feel like I must keep up. When the dogs pull off smooth work like this I feel faith that we’re doing just fine. It’s a good reminder.


2 comments:

  1. Do the dogs who compete in Trials ever do the real work? If so, how do they stack up against your working dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the right attitude, Arlette. Your dogs did just what they were bred to do, and did it smoothly. This - plus a big gap of time in between. Seems perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts