Friday, January 27, 2017

I Get It and a Book to Share

Sharing notes about the dogs is thoroughly rewarding, there are so many nuances to who they are and what they do. Somedays I feel like the richest person alive to have created a life that revolves around these canines and their working purpose - both guardians and stock dogs.

Speaking of sharing notes, another person highly devoted to guardian dogs is Wyoming rancher, Cat Urbigkit. Cat is also a noteworthy author and I just ordered her recently published book Brave and Loyal and so look forward to receiving it.

Her older book Shepherds of Coyote Rocks is also worth a read, although not specifically about the dogs it shares a life of raising sheep on the range and has many lgd stories entwined into it, such is the dependence on the dogs to do this, and such is the dependence on ranchers to keep a natural way of life and purpose.  I thoroughly and deeply connect to what this dependent, reciprocal relationship is like; how in control you want to be and how out of control you are; and how deeply they weave into the fabric of your being.


5 comments:

  1. Often when I see my Bess flopped out like these dogs, I sneak up, attack, and initiate a wrestling match. This teaches her to have a good sense of humor, which is essential on a farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Arlette. This new book Brave and Loyal sounds like a most interesting read. I'm going to consider ordering a copy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the photographs. The material sounds like it is geared to breed information for those just getting into these dogs and I'm sure it's one worth having on the shelf.

      Delete
  3. I am thoroughly enjoying Brave and Loyal and Coyote Rocks is one of my all time favorites :-).

    ReplyDelete