Thursday, December 15, 2016

Cold Fingers And All



We had a slight warming of the outdoor temperature, and the wind that was keeping us so frigid subsided yesterday evening. While it was still plenty cold enough I tempted taking the camera out with me. I wasn't able to take photos for long before my fingers got too cold and daylight diminished. I was lucky to get a few.

The temperatures throughout this cold spell have been in the deep -20 celsius range during the daytime. With the brisk winds we were feeling wind chills of -35 or so. The ewes still desire to travel and graze and then return to the hay feed and then travel again. While the coyotes are a greater threat when they travel, I’m glad to see the ewes out and about.  They will stay in good physical shape and how keen they are to travel and eat is a behaviour we’d miss altogether if they were held indoors throughout the winter.

These are two runty lambs in this next photo; we can tell by their look and their fleece (and their obvious small size) that they’re not quite up to par with the rest of the animals in the flock.  


I wasn’t expecting to see photos with such soft backdrop colors given the cold and that if feels anything but soft out there. I’ll take what I get though :-)

This is Tex and Wren making their way back after having a lookout from a hilltop.


Lastly, this photo is one where I played with black and white effects.  Loading/editing photos takes a lot of time so I don’t often play with filters or effects.   Typically you get what I take with the camera. As I take better photos though I find I’m more tempted to play with them.  It's a lot like artwork.




4 comments:

  1. Tex is the one on the left, correct? He looks more masculine, at least in this photo. I'm a big fan of black and white photos, but the exqusite colors in this photo win me over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tex is the dog on the left. Those colors are amazing, the sun was low; I wasn't even paying attention to the colors but was aware that I was losing light to take photos in.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the B & W is wonderful. I am assuming that Wren has turned out to be the dog you hoped for...being with Tex and all? She has really grown. Beautiful coat. They look great together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have our work cut out for us with Wren. She's back and forth between staying with Zeus, hanging at the yard and being out with the flock. The bitter cold weather makes it tough to do much but let her be where she is because we'll know she'll be sheltered. Getting tough to tell her and him apart from a distance.

      Delete