Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Christmas Computer Hiatus Turns Into Felting

Hello again readers, Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope the Christmas holidays treated everyone safely and merrily.

Throughout the holidays our routine here does not change much. We do not travel away for Christmas, but have family close enough for a day visit and return to home again. It turned cold and we had livestock water-bowl trouble throughout the weekend, culminating in a break that required a fix on Christmas morning. I wonder if Mother N ever has a good chuckle over mans fascination with calendar events and trying to stick to the plans.

You will have noticed I took a hiatus from the computer for a week. It was not a preplanned move but it unfolded that way and since it felt kinda good not being at the computer for a spell I rolled with it.

I unpacked some wool and started a felting project. It was a very rusty start but by weeks end I had two and half projects done. It got me thinking how it is that I have not shared artwork in awhile. I still rise early each morning and do some writing or drawing but the felting needles have been idle for a little while.

I sketched this one out several months ago and decided to dive into it. The piece is 20 inches by 30 inches, entirely needle felted.  It is 100% wool with fibre from Targhee sheep, Romney sheep, Corriedale sheep, and crossbred sheep (breeds unknown).


The dog is an Anatolian shepherd I know well, and the reference photo is an old one of not great quality, taken in the dead of winter.  I worked from a black and white copy of the photo, just using that for contrast areas.  I altered the sheep and the background as I laid wool down, changing the scene to a sunrise/sunset scene.  Looking at it now, I still need to add more to the border edges.  The title at this stage is 'Golden Boy' but titles are always subject to change :-)
My plan for hanging it is to wrap it around a foam core board or hard board and mount it that way (like a canvas wrap picture).  Then again, if the piece sells; it is far simpler to fold it and mail it than to mail it mounted on a hard board.  It is quite a lovely piece to see hanging, it pleases me greatly. Hope you enjoy seeing a glimpse of it here.  


9 comments:

  1. My friend was very pleased with your artwork that I gave her for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Very good to hear she enjoyed the gift.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a previouse blog entry that explains "needle felting?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I do. It's an old art form and a pretty simple one that takes advantage of wools natural characteristic to felt. Special barbed needles help the process along. You lay wool out and use the needles to punch the fibres and cause the wool to felt, and "painting" with the wool as you go.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, Arlette! You have real talent. So happy for you that you were able to let the "artistic juices" flow for a week. Here's hoping you take more time in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautifully felted piece of work. The name you have chosen is very appropriate in my opinion, "Golden Boy". I suspect you'll have no problem selling this piece of artwork. Happy New Year, Arlette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...a new favorite for me. I really love the composition, balance and contrast. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete