The Canine Crew

We have a bakers dozen of dogs here, six stock dogs and seven livestock guardian dogs. I will create two stand alone pages for this blog in the very near future and share individual photos and breed info of each dog there.

For now this gives an idea of who the canine crew are.  The photo of the stock dogs was taken this summer while Tanner was here for training, he has since gone back home.  From left to right: Tanner, Coyote Mic, Fynn, BJ, Gibson, BlackJack, Cajun.  Fynn is 14 years old, Cajun is half way to that and the rest are younger.


The stock dogs live with me. We do a few miles of walking/running every day, they have regular stock work and they come and go from my house. They are spoiled, they sleep on the couch. They stay in outdoor runs/exercise yards when I can’t have them with me or need to go to town for groceries and the mail.  These dogs are my work partners and my companions in a life that is largely lived in solitude.  We know each other well.

The livestock guardian dogs are another world of dogs. They are canine through and through and so feel the same on many levels, yet without the continual influence of human interaction, they are their own unit, and they function as such. I often feel secondary to that pack, a bit of an outsider.  I spend quite a bit of time watching these guys.

One of our male dogs stays situated with the rams and comes and goes from the main group only on occasion.  I have yet to capture a photo of all seven dogs, but I did manage one of six of them together at breakfast, albeit with all their heads down.

From left to right: Tex, Whiskey, Lily (background), Crow (foreground), Wren (lying) and Oakley.  Oakley is the eldest at 7.5 years.  Wren and Crow are the babies.



A summer photo during one of Zeus' visit to the pasture.  This is Lily and Zeus. 


In the twelve years of being here, we’ve had two litters of pups. One litter of livestock guardians a few years back, and more recently, BJ’s litter of three Kelpies.  Zeus is one of those pups, as is BlackJack, Tanner is another.  A select few of our dogs are intact.  Finding good dogs requires some searching.  With decreasing agriculture acres, there is less need of working dogs, and with that there is less people devoted to, and knowledgeable of, what traits make a good work dog, be it stock or guardian.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Introduction. That is a LOT of dogs! What do you feed them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made my day. Loved seeing them all. Our working dogs are the joy in our days. I can spend hours with them and never be bored when watching and studying them and interacting with them. They have taught me volumes. I love their unique skills and how they puzzle piece together to care for the livestock and farm needs. Your crew is inspiring. Crow is amazing. I can see why you are holding on to him. He's huge, beautiful and inspiring. So glad Tex has worked out from the get-go and Wren is precious. Thanks for sharing their lives and yours with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always so great to see and hear about the dogs. I see that Wren has really grown!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts