Friday, November 25, 2016

Side Trip


The colors of Nova Scotia are gorgeous even though this is not the prime time to see the province in all its spendour. The grass is still several shades of green, the soil is red, the shores are yellow and orange and brown, I was not expecting so many trees and such a forested feel, and there is no straight road to be had. 


I was in Halifax for sheep industry meetings, necessary although not really exciting. After the meetings I rented a car and headed to the Northern shore of Nova Scotia. The only concrete plan of the day was to meet up with Nova Scotia Shepherds, Matt and Tasha and visit their flock and their dogs (a connection made via Twitter).  Otherwise, I spent the day traveling at my leisure and stopping where I wished, to take photos.


I landed in Truro that night and the following morning headed westward, taking the trail along the southern shore of Cobequid Bay and the Minas Basin, travelling around to Wolfville and area (with a name like wolfville, I had to head there).  At noon I headed back to Halifax to catch the plane headed toward home.  All the pieces fell into place, plane rides, taxis, meetings, rental cars, driving and navigating, and hotel rooms. Away and home again.



For each place I visit there is a photo that takes me to a specific moment and place and causes me to think, yes that is what it was like.  Oddly enough, this next photo is that photo.  Upon good advice, I stopped at a very old general store and before getting back into the rental car, I stood on the side of the highway and watched these lovely white birds while absorbing where I was and what I was doing.  My guess is they are doves of some type (?)


I arrived home late last night. The experience of my walk was heightened this morning; the pace, the company of dogs, the prairie chill. The small pack is momentarily different before the familiarity of home and place settles into me, and the dogs and I are one and the same, connected again. Going away from home and returning lends to that feeling in spades.


6 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. Sounds like you have a lovely trip and there's still nothing like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate seeing the photos of Nova Scotia. I hadn't a clue what it is like. Rebecca the Desert Rat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could write the way you do and lend words to my feelings and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to share, and sure appreciate the feedback. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! But good to be home too :-).

    ReplyDelete