Thursday, August 4, 2016

A Kelpie Return

The ewes attempted a break out tonight, going through a short stretch of netting we have up to block a pasture alleyway.  Cajun and I promptly put them back to the 320 acres of grass they have free access to.  Cajun was pleased to be out to work ewes and lambs.  The young pup I kept from BJ’s litter of three is much like him in many ways.  Like Cajun, BlackJack is also a difficult dog to start, and I suspect BlackJack will also need jobs, not just training, in order to have a sense of purpose in what he is being asked to do.  

Remember this pup - the full brother to BlackJack.  

He is back at our place for the summer to have some training on sheep.  It is a treat to see him again and to be training him.  Unlike BlackJack, Tanner is a smooth and easy dog to start on sheep.  Same litter but very different dogs.  He’s progressing nicely and it will be tough to let him go again.  

We have also received good reports on the female pup, Prim, who was shy and sensitive as a pup.  She has gotten over her shyness and the folks are very pleased with her and her work.  

Since Tanner is here for a limited time of training, he is getting the bulk of time in that regard.  I've put BlackJack up for the time being because I started to get way too far into the trap of comparing one pup to the other, and losing sight of working the individual dog I walked out to train with.  The other stock dogs get a bit of sheep time, sorting sheep for Tanner, random tasks with the flock, and helping me dog a group of sheep for our upcoming herding camp the end of next week. 





4 comments:

  1. Not only do I love Tanner's color, I love his ears!!
    On another note, I have been busy clipping pastures, and today a coyote brazenly trotted by me, seemingly without a care in the world. I had Bess in the house, as I was using a sickle-bar mower, and I was annoyed at this behavior. This coyote obviously does not know the rules around here! I chased him with the tractor and mower, but he was not greatly impressed. Do you have arrogant coyotes such as these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we don't. Coyotes here flee quickly. They hardly stick around long enough to be seen. We hear them far more often than we see them.

      Delete
  2. Tanner is really a handsome boy. I think it will be really tough to give him back! So great to hear how all the dogs are doing their job. You are so busy, but this must be the life you once imagined...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More busy than usual this summer yes, but it's a temporary busy as we go through some big changes. The sheep and dogs are routine and they ground me.

      Delete