On Breeding Dogs

You know how you can go for years without doing a particular thing that you think of maybe doing one day, then at some point you look back and realize all those years of not doing it was exactly what you needed to shape your goal and reason for doing it.  That has kind of been my process around breeding dogs.  

My life has been chalk full of dogs.  Throughout the three decades this life with dogs spans across, I have tread through various facets of dogdom with various dogs of all types.  Devoted pet owner, agility, high level competition, and agility judging. Teaching classes, fostering dogs and litters of puppies, attending seminars, clinics, workshops, co-founding a dog rescue organization and now this very full life with working guardian dogs and stock dogs.  This journey has trailed me through the pet/sport dog world and the working dog world, and the vast array of the ideas and ideals surrounding dogs in each of those worlds.  

The one aspect I avoided getting too familiar with is breeding dogs and I am glad it went that way.  Today it is very likely I let what I know get in the way of doing, but I have honed some high ideals surrounding dogs and breeding them. 

Because of the dedication and time it entails I still don’t know if I will breed dogs in the future but I am considering it with the livestock guardian dogs.  Lily is intact and the two pups will be left intact until there is reason to desex them.  I am very interested to see how the pups develop and if one was good enough, then to consider a litter.  

Livestock guardian dogs have also diverged into two distinct types and I now have a sense of what type I would breed for and knowing that puts a definite purpose behind breeding them.    


4 comments:

  1. I can understand your hesitation and wait concerning breeding. It is and should be done with great care, as there is so much to consider. But you know dogs so very well, and have so much experience, you would do well with it. I am curious as to what type of LGD you would breed? It was also fun to learn about your involvement in dog agility and being a judge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would aim for a type that bonds strongly, works tightly to the flock.

      Delete
  2. What, does this mean no more honey-colored puppies? How are those pups doing anyway? They were so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, funny you should think of them. One of the them is home with me for the summer for some sheep experience. Haven't managed to fit in a blog post about him yet but I will. The other is doing well, so I hear.

      Delete

Popular Posts