Saturday, June 18, 2016

To Move Them Or Not

The grass where the ewes are is getting thin so a few days ago I left the gate open to the next paddock expecting the ewes to find it and wander across with lambs in tow.  Any other time I leave a gate wide open they would have found it all too soon.  This time, after a day and a half, only a portion of the ewes had made their way over and some of them left their lambs behind.  I was tempted to leave the laggers except keeping the ewes spread out meant more risk and getting them back together would make things lighter on the guardian dogs.  There are several foxes around who are giving us trouble and they’re still able to steal the youngest, baby lambs.  


On the second evening of no movement progress, I headed out with Cajun to move the rest.  It was a couple hours of moving sheep, finding sets and heading them in the same direction, giving them reason to go but ample time, until we had a loosely gathered group.

Cajun is seven and has been with me since a pup.  We’ve done a lot of work together, he and I.  There was a time that I cursed Cajun almost continually and I cried many a tear over our lack of training progress compared to others.  Oh what a treat he is now that we are both chalk full of bumps, bruises and experiences.



So much patience with lambs, holding and covering at the gate to get the last bunch through, and yet when needed he was all in to catch the odd one for me.  He loves to catch lambs or single ewes.  I remember feeling panicked and yelling at him the first few times he busted away after lambs and caught them.  I was aghast really.  I know Kelpies better now and I know the skill set of this guy is probably more rare than it is common.  


2 comments:

  1. How does he actually catch the lamb..and what then? What a wonderful dog to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He usually flips them off their feet and pins them on the ground. If I'm any good at my end of the deal, I'm right behind to retrieve the lamb from him. I'll share more shortly. He'll try it with adult ewes too.

    ReplyDelete