Move To The Lambing Pasture

During the cold wet weather the ewes hung out at the far south pasture where there is ample shelter.  Even though this is the furthest from the lambing pasture we left them to stay here because it was the best place for them to be.  The first two lambs were born just as the wet weather was clearing, and were nestled into the coziest spots of a large grove of trees. 

When the weather cleared the flock moved out of that pasture on their own and yesterday  morning I moved them to the lambing pasture.  

In the first photo I have just moved the flock off of pasture and into this holding paddock.  From here we move across another paddock, into a long wide alleyway paddock and then arrive at the first paddock of the lambing pasture.  The ewes are full, some are lying down, so it's a good time to move into a new pasture.


We have exited the first paddock and come across the middle paddock and the ewes are exiting into the wide alleyway.  You can see from the shape of the flock and the lone ewe in front, they want to travel straight through, which is where they normally go.  Seeing that option is closed they want to come back toward the bottom of the photo (all the ewes on the far side are turning into the flock).  They need to head to the top of the photo.  So those ewes on the far side need to turn and lead, otherwise the flock will mill here.  I have placed Gibson on the ground.  He just needs to hold his position and be seen by the ewes.


There is a very different shape to the flock now.  That lone ewe is still there, wishfully thinking perhaps, but the others have decided.  This only took 15, 20 seconds. Gibson took about three steps.


From here I put Gibson back on the Ranger with me, the ewes know the way now, there is no need to push on them.  Here they are pouring into the lambing pasture, destination reached.


After moving the flock I return to begin the rather long task of moving up the new ewe and lamb pairs who are still way down south.  I bring them up to the alleyway paddock the ewes just travelled through, and keep them there so they don't mix with the flock.

This morning I did the first drift of the pregnant ewes ahead, leaving the ewes with lambs one paddock behind.  There are a dozen lambs on the ground now; today only a new set of twins so far.  I’ll gauge the next couple moves on how many new lambs there are.  When the pace of lambing kicks into high gear the moves will be everyday. 

p.s  I still have trouble with loss of quality with my photos when I upload to blogger.  It really shows in the larger flock photos which is so disappointing as they are very clear on my computer before uploading. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi..pictures appear very clear on my computer,I can see way back buildings ,all well defined..Hope the day goes well.How wonderful to have a dog to help,give him an extra pat for me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you described Gibson! Dogs like that don't have to be trained much? They just instinctively know what to do? I know more about Guardian dogs, but not a lot about herd dogs. Just love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stock dogs do have natural talent, however, there is a large skill set we require of them so yes, a good amount of training is involved. I'll write about this further in a future blog post and explain more.

      Delete
    2. I will look forward to that....

      Delete
  3. Pictures look clear on my end. Not very big though if you try to click to "biggify".

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts