Shearing Day Visit

While I could not arrive in time for the start of shearing day at Double A Ranch this past weekend, I was able to take part in the last half.  I automatically felt like I should be moving sheep, handling wool or sweeping floors but there were many extra hands around to help and so I was encouraged to visit and take photographs.  It was a very pleasant change and position to be in. 

Targhee ewes watching the proceedings while waiting in the wings.  


I love this pair of ewes, looking as though they might be conversing on the happenings.   

The wool is highly valued and every shorn fleece lands on the skirting table first.  This is one of the gorgeous, natural brown Romney fleeces available for sale (just contact Double A Ranch on Facebook if interested).  I love using the Romney fibre for needle felting. 


The Montana Golden Girl, Kit, is not fond of crowds and catches a nap around back of the building where all is quiet.


At the end of the day Romney and Targhee ewes fill up on hay in the warm sunshine.  The hay at the top always seems to be the choice feed! 





6 comments:

  1. Great shots! Very nice fleece they grew ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some sure nice looking hay! I love working for shearing day. Looks like next week at Final Frontier Farm. Here I usually hold off until later in the month, but we have 70s predicted for next week :-o.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy shearing days too, especially when I'm not organizing one!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Sara....that is some beautiful hay!! Beautiful dog too. My sheep are to be sheared in a couple of weeks, which is scary considering it is only March, but lambs are due on April 17th. When do you shear your sheep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shear around mid April, so about the time you are starting to lamb.

      Delete
  4. Green hay is a result of all the irrigation here. While not all can manage or afford irrigation, it assures ranchers of hay feed for the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts