Thursday, January 14, 2016

Porridge for The LGD's

When the colder weather of the winter approaches we beef up the dogs dry food with meat  and homemade mix as much as possible and on occasion use canned dog food.  It's a combination of keeping things as affordable and as healthy as we can. 

The homemade mix usually starts out with chicken or ham-bone broth, then I add pureed vegetables, any suitable food left overs from the fridge, liver or other organ meat (chunks or pureed), some oats, rice or chickpeas or lentils, and kelp and alfalfa powder for minerals and vitamins.  It's usually a pretty a big hit with the dogs, even the fussy ones, provided there is enough broth and meat component.


It's always well below freezing here during the heart of the winter.  I try to make the mix the consistency of thick soup or even canned dog food.  We add a couple large scoops to the dry food and this way it doesn't freeze so quickly when we're dishing it out.  The last dog fed has some frozen wet food to eat but they seem fine with that and still lick the bowls beyond clean.  Sled dog owners feed a wet soup dog food as well although I am sure their ration is far more thought out than mine.

Ranger inspection by Lily and Oakley - Is there More?

4 comments:

  1. Your dogs looked thrilled with the menu!! I feed similar stuff to my dogs. I start with a chicken carcass, add apple-cider vinegar, garden potatoes and squash. Then I let this sit on the woodstove for hours before adding organ meats from home-raised chicken, beef, lamb, and pork. I just keep it on the woodstove, occasionally adding water, and ladle it on their dry food at mealtime. I also feed it to the cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Did not think of using apple-cider vinegar, think I'll add that to my recipe.

      Delete
  2. I just got thinking of how many dogs you feed! That is a LOT of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, it is a lot of food. If I could keep up with it I would feed this type of meat/veggie diet and very little dry kibble food.

      Delete