Thursday, October 1, 2015

Stock Dog Catch Up

It’s a wet and heavily foggy day today, giving a hushed and soft vibe to the entire place.  We were out all morning but I’ve returned to the indoors to sit quietly for a spell and catch up.  With the last issue of the newsletter there have been a few email questions about the dogs which I will reply to and also share the answers to here.

L to R: Tanner, Prim, BlackJack

At the start of summer I took in a young Kelpie for training.  This was not a planned deal but a dropped-in-my-lap kind of one that I choose to help out with.  In hindsight it was one of those, I wanted to say no but said yes, kind of things.  This young kelpie is a lot of dog who needs a lot of time and attention and he was the dog that became one too many in my pack for me to feel good about.  I put a lot of time into this young guy though and the trio of pups sat on the back burner more than I wanted them too.  I was stretching pretty hard to stay on top of all these dogs and over the summer this sliver of irritation worked its way into my enjoyment of them.  I was looking forward to when it would all wind down.


Well, that happened in one fell swoop last week when our company pulled out.  I was not expecting it because it was not in the plans when Bill and Janice arrived.  As we visited and talked dogs though, it all fell together.  

Bill and Janice have a vested interest in BJ’s trio of pups because BJ is from their kennel and she was bred to a dog they keep, named Drover.  Bill and Janice also have a lot of contacts in the working dog world and so they are on board to find suitable working homes for the pups.  Since it is quite difficult to fly dogs/pups out of a northern, smaller centre airport such as Saskatoon, we decided it would be best if they take two pups with them back to Montana and send them on to their eventual new homes from there.  So Prim and Tanner are now in Montana at the Burradoo Ranch, both are for sale, seeking their eventual new homes. 

Bill also made a few phone calls and found a working home for the young kelpie I was training.  So all in all, when they headed for home, three dogs from here went with them; bringing me back to my tidy pack plus BlackJack, whom I elected to keep.  There was no easy choices during any of it, and I still feel an honest ache.  The one I miss the most is little Prim, namely on account of her being such a sensitive and reactive pup, so I wonder how she’s getting on.  I get updates on them and I’ll know where they go and if need be they are always welcome back here.  


We have done well to find the best outcomes we can and I feel satisfied with that, and I can't deny that I feel a sense of relief and the dogs here feel it too.  While it tugs at my heartstrings, in the end it's all good.

2 comments:

  1. I just read your answer from my previous question about your barn...my barn is also 140 foot, but yours looks longer! Mine is well over one-hundred years old.
    Although I will sure miss those pictures of Prim and Tanner, I am glad that you have a more manageable group. This spring, due to their owner's health problems, I ended up taking care of all of my Bess' ten brothers and sisters from the ages of three weeks to eight weeks, plus their mama (all Maremmas). It was one of the best times of my life, but I was also relieved to get back to just my two border collies and baby Bess. I am sure your pups will get the best homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A one hundred year old barn - that sounds majestic. I think it's the bright white canvas on ours that makes it look so long.
      A litter of 11 pups is no small matter, wow, you had your hands full for sure. Now those pups would have been tough to tell apart!

      Delete