Quiet Days

There is definitely an empty feel when we drive out to pasture and Lady is not there but I also feel a space of relief because upon the first few trips out to pasture since her death I still feel okay about the choice we made.   Thus far, I have shared my journey with a fair number of dogs and thus have experienced the loss of a fair number too.  How the death of dogs impacts me is perplexing.  Some turn me right upside down and some quietly seep out, just as they came in. The death of Lady is a quiet one.

Being down to four dogs out on pasture creates some incentive to get the woven wire perimeter fence finished.  A new and more secure perimeter fence will ease the job for the dogs.  I have not made any progress on convincing Zeus to be the fifth dog out there.  He returns to the rams every time. 

Diesel is one of the four dogs we have out on pasture which is still a bit of a concern since he tends to push other dogs around.  He has been wearing a drag object for the last while to prevent him causing too much trouble.  This morning I removed the drag, deciding to leave it off for the day, when life on pasture is low key and all the animals hunker down out of the summer heat.   I’ll put it back on for the night time as that’s typically when other animals are afoot and things get more exciting for the dogs.

Otherwise, the lambs are growing well and for the next while it looks like a pretty low key summer here with the usual routine of sheep and dogs.  I am not doing the usual moving of portable electranet fencing this summer which I'm thankful for (I don't miss that!).  I will be rolling out some wire fencing again, doing a lot of stock dog work and hopefully quite a bit of  work in the art studio as well. 

The little pups are becoming a handful, friends are visiting on an almost weekly basis to work stock dogs, and Allen and I have been convinced to host the fall sheep camp once more, so there is that too prepare for and look forward to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts