Over Doing It

Here she is - that fourth ewe in line, mentioned in the last post. Perhaps she was starved in a past life. Every time I see her, all I can think is wow, how and why does she eat so much?



Lambing has slowed considerably, with half a dozen or so lambs in a day now. Things have been progressing very smoothly which I am sure is a result of some serious culling last fall.

The last few days have been the worst, and have been mostly the Targhee cross ewes who have lambed out.  Those ewes seem to like communal lambing, often lambing close to one another instead of moving away to birth. This results in mix up’s of whose lamb is who’s.  Not a big deal in our case so long as the lambs get raised. It’s my inclination to control what goes on and make sure everyone is matched up proper that makes it feel out of control. The real headache is the ewes who walk away from lambs or can’t count to two; maybe the end result of some of the mix up’s.

This next photo was taken last Wednesday during a move with the flock. This is the group of ewes yet to lamb, my forward drifting group. 


In this group, there are replacement ewe lambs I do not expect are carrying a lamb; I'm guessing they make up maybe a third of this group. Today, according to my count we’re all but done lambing. That means over half those ewes in the photo lambed this week, just to give an idea of how swiftly things can happen around birthing time.

Take another look at the photo - see anyone familiar? The ewe above !! - I'm pretty sure that's her along the bottom of the photo, right of center, below Whiskey's right hip (if you click on the photo you should be able to view it in larger size). 

Popular Posts