Spring Pastures

Lambing time is just around the corner although I’m hoping the ewes will hold off until after we are through with hosting a stock dog clinic this weekend (which I am eagerly anticipating).

The ewes were moved yesterday and are making their way through 40 acre paddocks, spending about two days in each one. The grass is coming on quickly now. 

The flock is grazing the paddocks furthest from home and I’m trying to plan it so they make their way back just as lambing commences. This way they will be a bit closer at hand during lambing time, which makes life a little easier on me. I’ll be using Electranetting to cross fence during lambing. It’s a bit of guessing game deciphering which paddock they might be in when the first lambs drop so I don’t have any Electranet up yet, although I’d really like to.

These are a couple photos of the paddock where the ewes spent the majority of the winter.

In the winter it looked like this:


 Today you can see some residue strips where feed was rolled out.


In this next photo, on the left, you can see some round areas of heavier residue. Here the bales did not get rolled out but only forked around a bit. This happened when the cows got to the bales first and made a mess of them. The residue piles are also like this if you bale graze. It will take longer for those piles to degrade and grass to come through there. I prefer rolling out the feed.


Here is what is at my feet.


I like how this pasture is looking. It looks so even because it was cut for hay last year. We can’t get our pastures grazed down that evenly with sheep. In comparison, the grazed paddocks have far more standing residue and from the roadside still look very brown even though there is plenty of grass there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts